A refresher for members about vehicle damage!
Re:Member is a series of helpful tips and reminders for our Peg City Car Co-op members (and any future members!)
This month’s topic: Damage
One of the best things about joining a carshare is not having to worry about the financial burden and inconvenience of maintenance and repairs. When you’re done with your booking, you get to park the car, and walk away! During the time you have a car booked, however, there is always the possibility of the dreaded ‘D’ word: Damage. Let’s talk about it so you’re informed and prepared!
Before Your Booking Starts
• Check your booking confirmation and read over the Damage Report. We will list any damages we’re already aware of.
• Walk around the vehicle and check for new damage. If you spot any cracks or dents we haven’t listed, you can report the damage in one of these 3 ways:
1. EMAIL – [email protected] Whenever possible, send photos.
2. VEHICLE NOTES – Log into your account, and add a note directly to your booking.
3. PHONE – 204-793-3912
• Note: it’s important to tell us about new damage as soon as you see it, so we can put together a timeline of when the damage may have taken place.
If Damage Occurs During Your Booking
• Contact Peg City staff to report the damage.
• If you have been in an accident, get yourself to a safe spot, contact police and/or paramedics, and gather all of the necessary information post-collision.
Uh Oh. Does That Mean I Have to Pay for the Damage?
That depends! If the damage is not at-fault – meaning you did not cause the damage, or you were in an accident or collision that is deemed to be another driver’s fault – you do not have to pay for the damages.
If you caused the damage, and you do not have Collision Loss Damage Insurance (also known as CLDI, which is coverage through your personal credit card provider) OR you are not in our Damage Pool, you are responsible for paying the $750 damage fee (as outlined in the Member Manual).
HOLD UP. What’s the Damage Pool?
For $40/year, you can join our Damage Pool, and every driver on your household account is fully covered by all aspects of Peg City Car Co-op’s insurance, and will not be required to pay the $750 damage fee in the event that a Co-op vehicle is damage during your booking. Instead, the money will come out of the Damage Pool! You can immediately re-join if you have to apply the pool to a damage incident.
Remember: you’re not just renting a car, you’re sharing a resource with your neighbours. Take your time while parking, leave a generous distance between cars while driving, and be aware of road and weather conditions that may impact everyone’s ability to drive safely. Help us keep our fleet in great shape!